Commercial property vacancy rates
As retail enters a period of accelerated change we need accurate data to make informed decisions and seize opportunities. These reports have been created in partnership with the parish of St Helier and Jersey Business to give an accurate picture of the town’s vacancy rates in comparison to the UK.
- The data has been created by us using the latest Goad map available for Jersey (this is updated every three years) and one physical count per quarter. We use the same count criteria for commercial property as the Local Data Company (the organisation who create the report for the BRC) to enable an accurate comparison with their quarterly report.
- This report will be available quarterly 6 weeks in arrears to coincide with the release of the Local Data Company’s report via the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
- The physical count includes all customer facing commercial property mapped on the Goad area that are not classified as shopping Centres.
Why has the data been created?
- Vacancy data will enable bench-marking against the UK to use as an indicator of health and emerging trends
- Vacancy data can be used as a tool to encourage inward and on island investment.
- The collation of this data creates an up to date contact list for vacant properties for the first time in one place
- The visual nature of the data’s collation helps it to be understood easily and gives a clear picture of areas in decline or success
- Over time the data will provide insight into the mix of town use and sectoral contraction and expansion
How is the data collated?
- A physical walk of the town each quarter on a set day during the last month of that quarter to record accurate data on that day.
- No add hock changes are made to the count outside of the quarterly physical count.
- Businesses are categorised into sector by their SIC code.
- Commercial, non customer accessible properties are not included in the count i.e. offices with no customers entering.
- Second floor only business are not included in the count.
- Buildings outside of the accurate surveyor created GOAD map are not included, this is redrawn currently every three years.