A day in the life of a Jersey entrepreneur-Alex Luxo-Piazza
Alex Luxo-Piazza, Founder, The Loving Chair Company
What makes you spring out of bed in the morning?
I have never been much of a morning person but doing something creative makes you realise how boring it would be to work just to make money. It’s just easier to get out of bed and look forward to 12 hours of work if you’re making the world a brighter and better place.
What does your normal day look like?
- 7am – coffee – my husband always brings me a coffee in bed, which I drink cold by the time I wake up at 7.30am.
- 7.30am – the start of the day – before I even get out of bed in the morning, the first thing I do is grab my phone to see my text messages & emails that I need to respond to. I usually respond to everything while laying in bed and drinking my cold coffee. I finish off by meditating for 10minutes.
- 8.30am – the gym – I try to make it to the gym 4 times a week. My workout isn’t that rigorous, twice a week finish off in the steam room to relax.
- 10am – The shop – I head to our shop on Bath Street, which as well as being our retail outlet it doubles up as the office and the design studio. Often I’m out on client appointments, discussing new projects, design concepts, measuring up, etc. When I’m in the shop I enjoy engaging with our customers, this is extremely valuable to the development of the business as it enables me to understand our customers and what products and trends they seek.
- 1pm – Lunch – typically a quick sandwich at the shop with my daughter Brontey, who is also our designer.
- 1.30pm – communication – catching up with phone calls & emails mainly with suppliers and our team at the factory in Portugal.
- 3pm – My boy – doing the school run, homework, play dates, activities and much more!
- 7pm – Dinner – My husband and I share the cooking 50/50 I hate it when it’s my turn to cook as I’m not a great cook! But it’s my favourite time of the day as we all seat around the diner table eating and catching up with the daily grind.
- 10pm – Bed time – My husband falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow, he’s a morning person. I on the other hand, I get out my iPad compile quotes, draft and reply to emails and try and figure out how I can grow our revenue and take our family business to the next level. I end up falling asleep on the iPad around 1am.
How did you get to where you are today?
Passion, hard work & persistence.
What couldn’t you live your life without?
My iPhone & iPad
Which outsiders (professional services, investors, mentors, family etc.) have been most important to the success of your business?
My family are the most important to the success of the business. It’s about using the family’s skill-set to come up with creative solutions that leave clients feeling happy and looked after.
What have been the biggest challenges you’ve had to overcome?
Walking away from a long-established career in the offshore finance industry and stepping into the unknown worrying if customers like our products, the profitability of the business and whether I will ever be able to pay myself a steady salary!
What advice would you give to your younger self before embarking on your business journey?
I once heard someone say building a business is a marathon not a sprint. There will always be many opportunities at any one time, focus on building one at a time and surround yourself with people that are better at the job than you are.
Website The Loving Chair Company
Facebook: The Loving Chair Company