Cyber Essentials is a government backed scheme that will help you to protect your organisation, whatever its size, against a whole range of the most common cyber attacks. Cyber attacks cost organisations thousands of pounds and can cause huge disruption. Businesses big and small can be targets if they don’t have the proper measures in place to protect them. Cyber Essentials shows you how to prevent the most common attacks, protect your business and is designed to fit with whatever level or commitment you are able to sustain.
There are three levels of engagement:
- Self-help Cyber Essentials
- Cyber Essentials certification
- Cyber Essentials Plus certification
Cyber Essentials helps prevent the vast majority of cyber attacks. Even a simple virus or piece of malware could result in your business facing consequences like:
- loss of company and client data
- disruption to cash flow
- staff time taken up trying to resolve the issue
- trading delayed / stopped
- damage to your hard-earned reputation
- losing customers
- fines or prosecution (loss of data could breach the Data Protection Act)
Self-help Cyber Essentials helps you familiarise yourself with cyber security terminology, gaining enough knowledge to begin securing your IT.
Cyber Essentials recommend five technical controls that you should put in place to put you and your organisation on the path to better cyber security. The five controls are:
- secure your internet connection
- secure your devices and software
- control access to your data and services
- protect from viruses and other malware
- keep your devices and software up to date
You can find out more about self-help Cyber Essentials and what you can put in place today on the Cyber Essentials website
From 2020, all new suppliers in receipt of contracts valued at more than £25,000 will need to demonstrate adherence to Cyber Essentials or a higher standard.
Cyber Essentials can help your organisation in many ways, including:
- reassuring customers that you take cyber security seriously
- listing on our directory of organisations awarded Cyber Essentials
- attracting new business with the promise you have cyber security measures in place
- allowing you to bid for government contracts
In the future Cyber Essentials will be a mandatory requirement for suppliers of government contracts which involve handling personal information and providing some ICT products and services.
Cyber Essentials Plus
The first step to gaining your Cyber Essentials / Plus certification is to select a Certification Body. You have the option of choosing a local certification agency or a UK agency.
Option 1 – Local certification agencies
Local Certification bodies who can assist with the Cyber Essentials assessment process and support as application for certification: Local certification agencies
Option 2 – UK accreditation bodies
Let Government of Jersey know once you’re certified
Organisations that are Cyber Essentials / Cyber Essentials Plus certified are listed on gov.je. Once you’re certified complete the online form and you’ll be added to the list.
For more information and guidance visit the government run Cyber Essentials website or the National Cyber Security Centre website.